College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Honors in Dance at Iowa
Dance majors who maintain a Dance Department GPA of at least 3.5 and University GPA of at least 3.33 are encouraged to pursue Honors in Dance. Students in either the B.F.A. or B.A. program are eligible. It is not necessary for students pursuing Honors in Dance to be in the University Honors Program, although Honors in Dance does satisfy the experiential learning component (“learning by doing”) of the University Honors Program.
Students who graduate with honors in their majors receive special recognition during commencement, and both their transcripts and diplomas show honors designations.
Graduation with Honors in Dance requires:
1) The successful completion of 8-10 s.h. of either University Honors courses or Honors Contract Courses in Dance Department classes. Contract courses are normally upper-level courses numbered DANC:3000 or higher, or approved graduate courses numbered DANC:5000 or higher. Honors contract courses are regular courses with extra-curricular activities that substantially increase the breadth, depth, or complexity of learning. To contract a regular class into an honors class, the student must:
- Arrange details with the instructor early in the semester,
- Submit a signed contract to the University Honors Program by the deadline
- Complete the project as arranged
- Receive a course grade of B or better.
If the student does not meet these conditions, the enrollment simply earns the usual credit and grade.
2) The successful completion of an honors project for which credit is given in DANC:4999. Honors projects are arranged in consultation with and approved by a faculty supervisor and the Department’s Honors Advisor. Projects may include performance, choreographic, and scholarly research, and a written thesis. None of the projects may duplicate projects assigned in other courses, although B.F.A. students may enhance their capstone project, for example with additional research and a written honors thesis. Honors students are strongly encouraged to present their honors projects to the Department in their final semester in coordination with fellow Dance Honors students.
Appropriate forms must be filled out to complete a course contract, submit an honors thesis, and apply for graduation with honors. These are available on the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Honors in the Major webpage.
If you are interested in pursuing Honors in Dance, please contact Kristin Marrs.