All prospective dance majors and minors must audition for acceptance into the Department of Dance. The first step in this process is to complete the 2017-2018 Audition Form. Application and acceptance to the University of Iowa Admissions Office is encouraged, but NOT mandatory before the audition date.
Prospective students are required to attend one audition from the following dates:
Fall: November 10, 2017 (application deadline November 8, 2017)
Spring: February 23, 2018 (application deadline February 9, 2018)
Access to the 2017-2018 Audition Form for all Dance Major and Minor Applicants is available now!
Simply click the link here or paste the following into your internet browser: https://workflow.uiowa.edu/form/dance-undergraduate-application
Application and ICA REquired Materials
Two Letters of Recommendation: two letters of recommendation (one letter should come from either a director, choreographer, or teacher of your current dance studio/school, and one letter should come from a high school guidance counselor, teacher, or mentor.) should be uploaded to your online application. You will see an option to do this at the bottom of the application form. If your letters are confidential and cannot be uploaded, please have them sent via email to the Department of Dance Academic Coordinator, Deborah Arenson.
Current Transcripts: are required at the time of application and can be uploaded on the ICA application form. Transcripts do not need to be official at the time of application. If it is not possible to attach a digital version of the transcripts, please have them sent to E114 Halsey Hall, Iowa City, Iowa 52242. The Department of Dance does not receive materials sent to the Admissions Office- please send all materials directly to the Department of Dance, or the Academic Coordinator, Deborah Arenson.
Solo Requirements: a two minute solo is required to be preformed on audition day. Solos can be in any genre and cannot exceed two minutes, You must provide your own music on your phone, portable USB drive, or compact disc. Your piece can be self-choreographed or choreographed by another. If you have questions about the solo please contact Jessica Anthony.
Registration will begin at 8:45 a.m. in Halsey Hall. Dancers may warm-up after they have registered. Auditions will begin at 9:30 a.m.
- 9:30- 10:25 a.m. Ballet/Modern Technique
- 10:30- 11:25 a.m. Ballet/Modern Technique
- 11:30- 12:30 p.m. BFA/ICA Solos
- 12:30- 1:15 p.m. Lunch Break
- 1:15- 1:45 p.m. Question and Answer Session (IMU)
- 1:45- 2:15 p.m. Writing portion (IMU)
- 2:30- 3:30 p.m. Improvisation
Prospective Dance Majors and Minors are expected to stay for the entire audition.
- Dancewear: Choose comfortable and form fitting dancewear so we can adequately assess your technique and movement (leotard, tights, form-fitting t-shirts, etc.).
- Shoes: Ballet shoes are mandatory for ballet technique, shoes for modern technique are optional.
- Hair: Have your hair securely pulled away from your face, in a bun if possible.
- The Iowa House Hotel (319.335.3513) is a university-owned hotel located in the Iowa Memorial Union, which is conveniently located across the street from the Department of Dance building, Halsey Hall.
- Other lodging options are available through the Iowa City/Coralville Area Convention & Visitor Bureau.
Please contact Deborah Arenson with questions.