All prospective dance majors and minors must audition for acceptance into the Department of Dance. The first step in this process is to complete the audition form. Application and acceptance to the University of Iowa Admissions Office is encouraged, but NOT mandatory before the audition date.
Audition information for fall 2020 and spring 2021 auditions will be coming soon.
Please contact Alex Bush at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
The 2020-21 audition form will be coming soon.
If you are auditioning for the minor or Bachelor of Arts program, a completed audition form is all that is required. Upon receipt of your audition form, the Dance Department's Academic Coordinator will be in touch with you to provide more information about the audition day.
If you are auditioning for the Bachelor of Fine Arts program and/or the ICA Scholarship, please read below for additional requirements.
Additional Required Materials for BFA and ICA Scholarship Applicants
Two Letters of Recommendation: two letters of recommendation (one letter should come from either a director, choreographer, or teacher of your current dance studio/school, and one letter should come from a high school guidance counselor, teacher, or mentor.) should be uploaded to your online application. You will see an option to do this at the bottom of the application form. If your letters are confidential and cannot be uploaded, please have them sent via email to the Department of Dance.
Current Transcripts: are required at the time of application and can be uploaded on the ICA application form. Transcripts do not need to be official at the time of application. If it is not possible to attach a digital version of the transcripts, please have them sent to E114 Halsey Hall, Iowa City, Iowa 52242. The Department of Dance does not receive materials sent to the Admissions Office-please send all materials directly to the Department of Dance.
Solo Requirements: For BFA applicants and applicants for the ICA scholarship, a two minute solo is required to be performed on audition day. Solos can be in any genre and cannot exceed two minutes. You must provide your own music on your phone, portable USB drive, or compact disc. An mp3 file on a phone is the preferred method. Your piece can be self-choreographed or choreographed by another. If you have questions about the solo please contact Alex Bush.
Registration will begin at 8:45 a.m. in Halsey Hall. Dancers may warm-up after they have registered. Auditions will begin at 9:30 a.m.
- 8:45- 9:30 a.m. Registration
- 9:30- 10:25 a.m. Ballet/Modern Technique
- 10:30- 11:25 a.m. Ballet/Modern Technique
- 11:30- 12:30 p.m. BFA/ICA Solos
- 12:30- 1:15 p.m. Lunch Break
- 1:15- 1:45 p.m. Question and Answer Session (for students and parents)
- This is an informal opportunity to talk with undergraduate students in the program and hear about their experiences and goals.
- 1:45- 2:15 p.m. Writing Portion
- 1:45 p.m. Parent Question and Answer Session in E105 with Alex Bush
- 2:30- 3:30 p.m. Improvisation session
- 3:30 p.m. Audition complete
All prospective Dance Majors and Minors are expected to stay for the entire audition.
- Dancewear: Choose comfortable and form fitting dancewear so we can adequately assess your technique and movement (leotard, tights, form-fitting t-shirts, etc.).
- Shoes: Ballet shoes are mandatory for ballet technique. Please attend the modern technique session in bare feet.
- Hair: Have your hair securely pulled away from your face, in a bun if possible.
- The Iowa House Hotel (319.335.3513) is a university-owned hotel located in the Iowa Memorial Union, which is conveniently located across the street from the Department of Dance building, Halsey Hall.
- Other lodging options are available through the Iowa City/Coralville Area Convention & Visitor Bureau.
Please contact the Department of Dance with questions.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend all University of Iowa-sponsored events. If you are a person with a disability who requires a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in this program, please contact the Department of Dance in advance at 319.335.2621.