Earn honors in dance at Iowa
Dance majors who maintain a Department of Dance grade-point average of at least 3.5 and a university GPA of at least 3.33 are encouraged to pursue honors in dance. Students in either the BFA or BA program are eligible. It is not necessary for students pursuing honors in dance to be in the University Honors Program, although honors in dance does satisfy the experiential learning component (“learning by doing”) of the University Honors Program.
Students who graduate with honors in their majors receive special recognition during commencement, and both their transcripts and diplomas show honors designations.
Graduation with honors in dance requires:
- The successful completion of 8-10 semester hours of either University Honors courses or Honors Contract Courses in Dance Department classes. Contract courses are normally upper-level courses numbered DANC:3000 or higher, or approved graduate courses numbered DANC:5000 or higher. Honors contract courses are regular courses with extra-curricular activities that substantially increase the breadth, depth, or complexity of learning. To contract a regular class into an honors class, the student must:
- Arrange details with the instructor early in the semester
- Submit a signed contract to the University Honors Program by the deadline
- Complete the project as arrange
- Receive a course grade of B or better.
- If the student does not meet these conditions, the enrollment simply earns the usual credit and grade.
- The successful completion of an honors project for which credit is given in DANC:4999. Honors projects are arranged in consultation with and approved by a faculty supervisor and the department’s honors advisor. Projects may include performance, choreographic, and scholarly research, and a written thesis. None of the projects may duplicate projects assigned in other courses, although BFA students may enhance their capstone project, for example with additional research and a written honors thesis. Honors students are strongly encouraged to present their honors projects to the Department in their final semester in coordination with fellow Dance Honors students.
Appropriate forms must be filled out to complete a course contract, submit an honors thesis, and apply for graduation with honors. These are available on the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Honors in the Major webpage.
If you are interested in pursuing honors in dance, please contact Kristin Marrs.
University of Iowa Honors Program
In addition to honors in the major, students may pursue honors study and activities through membership in the University of Iowa Honors Program. University honors students must maintain a 3.33 grade-point average, complete 12 semester hours of coursework designated as honors courses, and complete 12 semester hours of an experiential learning project. Visit Honors at Iowa to learn about the university's honors program.
NOTE: Membership in the UI Honors Program is not required to earn honors in the major.
Need more information?
For more information on the University of Iowa Department of Dance Honors Program, please contact: